In the world of kitchen design, new trends are always emerging and evolving. What was popular 20, 10, or even 5 years ago, may certainly look outdated today. While some elements of kitchen design remain constant, there are others that suddenly emerge on the scene and make quite a splash. Some of those will stick around for a while. Others might disappear in just a few years. Nonetheless, it’s always fun to look at the latest trends and consider which might work for you.
So…what’s new this year?
As we move into 2023, here are some of the top kitchen trends to consider as you’re designing your new kitchen.
1. Sustainable materials
– One of the biggest trends in kitchen design is a focus on using sustainable and eco-friendly materials. This includes things like bamboo, cork, and recycled materials. These can be employed for countertops and cabinetry. Not only are these materials better for the environment, but they also offer a unique and natural look that can add warmth and character to your kitchen.
2. Smart appliances
– Technology is also playing a bigger role in kitchen design. This is especially true with the rise of smart appliances that can be controlled from your smartphone or voice-activated device. This includes things like refrigerators with built-in cameras, ovens that can be preheated remotely, and dishwashers that can be turned on and off from your phone. It’s the ultimate in convenience and an option many homeowners are choosing.
3. Open shelving
– In recent years, there has been a shift away from traditional upper cabinets in favor of open shelving. This trend allows for more storage space. It also makes it easier to access dishes and cooking equipment. Open shelving also gives the illusion of a larger space and allows you to show off your favorite dishes and glassware.
4. Two-toned cabinetry
– Another trend in kitchen design is the use of two-toned cabinetry. This involves using two different colors or finishes on your cabinets. In general, one color is used for the upper cabinets while another is used for the base. This can add visual interest and depth to your kitchen. In addition, it allows you to mix and match different styles and materials as well.
5. Natural stone
– Natural stone, such as marble and granite, is another popular choice for countertops and backsplashes. These materials are durable and add a luxurious touch to any kitchen. However, they do require regular sealing and maintenance to prevent staining. So, be sure you’re okay with this higher-maintenance product before you make it your choice.
6. Integrated appliances
– Another trend is the integration of appliances, such as refrigerators and ovens, into the cabinetry. This helps create a seamless and cohesive look and allows you to hide appliances when they’re not in use.
7. Colorful accents
– While neutral colors like white and gray are still popular for kitchen design, there is a trend towards adding pops of color to your room. This can be done in a variety of ways. Consider accents like backsplashes, floors, and even appliances. It’s a fun and easy way to add personality and flair to your kitchen.
8. Multi-functional islands
– Kitchen islands are already a popular feature in many modern kitchens. However, the trend is toward making them more multifunctional. This can include adding seating, storage, and even appliances to the island. These features make it a true hub of the kitchen and one where you and your guests will want to gather.
9. Hidden pantries
– In the past, pantries were often separate rooms or closet-like spaces that were somewhat removed from your main kitchen space. However, the trend now is towards hiding pantries behind cabinet doors or even behind artwork. This allows you to keep your pantry items organized and out of sight while still keeping them easily accessible.
10. Biophilic design
– Biophilic design is a trend that incorporates elements of nature into the kitchen. This can include things like using natural materials, adding plants, and installing windows to bring in natural light. The goal of biophilic design is to create a more harmonious and calming space but it also tends to be eco-friendly.
Which is right for me?
Overall, the trends in kitchen design for 2023 are focused on sustainability, functionality, and incorporating natural elements. Whether you prefer a sleek and modern look or something more traditional and warmer, there are plenty of options to choose from to create the kitchen of your dreams.
At Bowline Construction, we’re eager to brainstorm with you about new kitchen trends in home design. As professionals in home renovations, additions, and new builds, we stay in tune with the latest options and trends for all the rooms in your house. We stand ready to make the journey with you, whether you’re designing a kitchen for your new home or rejuvenating your old kitchen so that it’s more up-to-date and to your taste.